- Breast Cancer. The risk of breast cancer almost doubles after one abortion, and rises even further with two or more abortions.
- Cervical Cancer. Women who have had one abortion face a 2.3 relative risk of cervical cancer, compared to women who have never had an abortion.
- Placenta Previa. Abortion increases the risk of placenta previa in later pregnancies (a life-threatening condition for both the mother and her wanted pregnancy.)
- Immediate Complications. Approximately 10 percent of women undergoing elective abortion will suffer immediate complications of which approximately one-fifth (2 percent) are considered life-threatening. 1
Many women rationalize the need for an abortion, repressing any initial feelings of guilt. As a result, emotional reactions to abortion are delayed, sometimes for as long as five to 10 years.
- Sad mood
- Sudden and uncontrollable crying episodes
- Deterioration of self-concept
- Sleep, appetite and sexual disturbances
- Reduced motivation
- Disruption in interpersonal relationships
- Extreme guilt and anxiety
- Psychological “numbing”
- Depression and thoughts of suicide 2
David Reardon, Ph.D., has been involved in post-abortion research since 1983 and has published several books available through Easton Publishing Co. at 1-888-635-0609. Dr. Reardon founded the Elliot Institute in 1988 to promote original research and education on the effects of abortion on women, men, families and society.
The complete brochure (item 459) is available from:
Easton Publishing Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 1064
Jefferson City, MO 65102
- List of Major Physical Sequelae Related to Abortion, www.afterabortion.org.
- Paul C. Reisser, M.D., and Teri K. Reisser, M.S., “Identifying and Overcoming Post-Abortion Syndrome,” (Colorado Springs: Focus on the Family, 1994), pg. 11.
Excerpted from the brochure, Do YOU Really Want an Abortion? Copyright © 1999 Easton Publishing Company, Inc. Used with permission.
Accident, Surprise or Gift?
When pregnancy takes you by surprise, there’s more than one way to look at it.
Choosing the Best for Your Baby
How do you decide between adoption and single motherhood?
Questions and Answers
Should I give up alcohol during pregnancy?
My teenage daughter is unmarried and pregnant. Do you have any resources to help us?
Left to Suffer
Abortion can leave a woman feeling more empty and alone than she ever dreamed possible.
Life is Sacred
Sometimes the choices we make bring pain. Thankfully, one woman turned to God for healing.
Taboo Grief: Men and Abortion
It’s not something most men talk about, but the ones who’ve lost a child to abortion bear many scars.
If you’ve been through a experience related to this topic, we invite you to share your story with others.
Share Your Story
Other Things to Consider
What the Choice is All About
For a long time it baffled me. I could never understand why anyone would want to be pro-choice. But this past week I finally got it.
Parenting Children: Talking About Sex